High 5 moments 5.3.18
- The Plant City FC Lancers are hosting free open tryouts to boys and girls born between the years 2000 and 2012 from May 7-12. Tryouts will be held at the Otis M. Andrews Sports Complex, 2602 E. Cherry St.. For exact dates and times, visit the Lancers’ website at PlantCityFC.com.
- Durant High School alumna Selena Bezares was named an All Mid-Florida Conference first-team softball player on April 27. Bezares, a sophomore at St. Johns River State College, batted .361 with 61 hits, 54 RBI, 26 runs scored, 15 home runs and 11 doubles. Bezares was an all-conference second-team selection last season.
- Plant City High School basketball guard Matt Simmons added another accomplishment to his list last week, receiving Florida Association of Basketball Coaches and Source Hoops Class 8A third team all-state honors.
- Six Plant City High School athletes will represent our area at the 2018 FHSAA Class 4A state championships in Jacksonville this weekend. The relay team of Eric Wilson, Jordan Wiggins, Xavier King, Tyreke Harrison, Antwain Joyce, Dalton Raines and Antron Robinson qualified for the 4×100 relay race, as did Matt Simpson in the long jump. King also qualified individually in the high jump. The championship events will be broadcast live online at the NFHS Network’s website, buff.ly/2FCgC9H.
- Plant City High School’s softball team began the first round of regional play last night with a home game against Steinbrenner. Results from the game were not available at press time but a recap and photos are viewable at plantcityobserver.com. Also keep an eye on the website after tonight’s 8A-District 4 championship baseball game at Wharton High School, in which Strawberry Crest will face the hosting Wildcats before both teams advance to next week’s regional quarterfinal round.