High 5 moments 5.17.18
- Plant City softball’s regional run came to an end May 11 with a 9-2 loss to Lakewood Ranch in the 8A-Region 2 title game. Strawberry Crest baseball advanced to the 8A-1 semifinal with May 8’s 6-4 win over Buchholz, but Tuesday’s semifinal rematch with Wharton was postponed by a nasty storm. Results from the make-up game were not available by press time.
- Plant City native Colin Allman, shortstop for Newberry College’s baseball team, earned another honor for his solid play in the 2017-18 season. Allman was recently named to the Google Cloud Academic All-District Team for his achievements in the classroom as well as on the field. The sophomore business administration major has a 3.46 GPA.
- The 21st annual Optimist Soccer Tri-Star Skills Competition was held April 28 and results have been released. There were 124 participants and 24 trophy winners in four age groups. For results, visit plantcityobserver.com.
- The Plant City Family YMCA’s summer youth sports programs are now accepting registrations online or by phone until May 27. This summer’s slate includes developmental co-ed, girls and competitive basketball and volleyball leagues as well as soccer and basketball one-week clinics, and there will also be a preschool sports sampler program for ages 2-4 parents can sign up for by June 15. Call 813-757-6677 or visit buff.ly/2IONG4l.
- Plant City and Strawberry Crest’s football teams will participate in tonight’s Tampa Bay Tech-hosted Spring Jamboree, which begins at 6:30 p.m. at the Titans’ field, 6410 Orient Road. The Raiders, Chargers, Titans and the Armwood Hawks will be featured in the showcase. Durant will host spring football action tonight as well and is scheduled to play Bloomingdale around 7:30 p.m.