The Hillsborough County Public Schools Athletic Department announced this year’s top scholars in sports with a series of presentations available online.
Instead of its typical end-of-year award banquet for its top scholar-athlete selections, the Hillsborough County Public Schools Athletic Department adapted to changing times and announced this year’s picks with a pair of presentations posted to social media on May 29.
Each high school and middle school in the county had one and two winners, respectively. The following local athletes were named winners:
- 6.9 GPA, 1310 SAT
- Played with lacrosse team for four years. Captain for last two
- Top 10 in senior class and has had perfect attendance for all 13 years of school
- Compiled 548 volunteer hours in last three and a half years.
- Participates in mission trips, has taught dance classes on weekends
- Attending University of Florida and will major in health sciences.
- 6.038 GPA, 1410 SAT
- Played with basketball team for two years. Helped lead team to highest overall team GPA in state class 7A
- Made Principal’s Honor Roll and the High Honor Roll
- Volunteers with Feeding Tampa Bay, Grace Manor at Hunters Creek and Tim Tebow Foundation’s Night to Shine, as well as at Christina Park’s softball complex
- Joining Air Force. Will pursue degree in criminal justice and history.
- 6.7 GPA 1350 SAT
- Member of swim team for four years
- AP scholar with honors and AP scholar with distinction
- Gries Foundation Heart of a Champion award winner
- Volunteered with immigrant relief in Nashville, Tennessee, at SummerSalt Kids Camp and with United Food Bank of Plant CIty’s Empty Bowls Project.
- Attending Rollins College and will major in English.
- 6.6 GPA, 1310 SAT
- Played with baseball team for four years, with football team for two years and with basketball team for one year. Two-year captain of baseball team and helped win 2019 state championship. Second team all-county in football
- Won Hillsborough County Youth Excellence and Achievement Award for Leadership in 2019
- AP scholar, National Honor Society member and dual enrolled at HCC.
- Compiled more than 120 hours of community service
- Attending University of Florida to major in mechanical engineering
- 4.7 GPA, 1140 SAT
- Played with basketball team for four years and with flag football team for two years. 2020 Western Conference Player of the Year (basketball)
- Member of National Honor Society and graduating with honors
- Positive Coaching Alliance representative and member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Volunteered with Charlie Bradley Basketball Camp and at Bailey Elementary School
- Attending St. Petersburg College to play basketball and major in business administration.
- 5.21 GPA, 1270 SAT
- Member of wrestling team for four years. District champion and 2019-20 state championship qualifier. Made All-County cut in last two years.
- On the honor roll and made Academic All-County all 4 years
- Volunteered with Feeding America, Relay for Life and Top Gun Wrestling Academy
- Attending Florida State University to major in engineering or IT.
- 3.4 GPA
- Played all school sports in all three years. Plays travel basketball and was MVP of Plant City’s Dream Team
- President of Marshall’s Gentlemen’s Quest club
- Attending Durant High School next year
- 4.0 GPA
- Plays soccer, basketball and flag football
- Won Plant City Parks and Recreation Department’s Tri-Star Punt, Pass and Kick competition three years in a row
- Participates in competitive barrel racing
- Attending Strawberry Crest High School next year
- 3.2 GPA
- Plays flag football, volleyball and track
- Learning jiu-jitsu
- Attending Plant City High School next year